Games are made up of hundreds of assets and it takes many individuals to make each and every asset for a game. The Game Assets competition provides an opportunity for showcasing individual assets that make up a game and focuses on games that are in the early stages of development.
Individuals (no team submissions) can enter in one of three Game Assets categories:
- Conceptual Art - sample game related artwork (2D/3D) and/or game story
- Animations - 30 second demo of game world fly through or character animation (2D or 3D)
- Scoring & Sound Design - samples of original sound/music tracks of one to two minutes in length
Participants in the game assets can enter any or all of the categories. If you have worked on content related to games and gaming we invite you to take part in this competition.
Submission Details [All Game Design Categories]
- All individuals must pre-register for this event. Registration opens in February.
- All submissions must b Original Works developed/designed by the game design team.
- Copyrighted images, audio, footage and characters can not be used. (i.e. Celebrity photos, movie screen grabs, drawings of copyrighted logos, characters, etc. and so forth).
- Creative Commons / Licensed external , publicly available , libraries (For example Java libraries or free assets from the Unity Asset store) can be used.
- All submissions must be appropriate for all viewing ages
- MUST NOT contain any offensive language, graphic content, and suggestive themes (ex. sex, drugs and alcohol).
- All submissions must include a Game Pitch (Youtube video)
- All game asset submissions must be submitted by
March 31, 2021April 9, 2021
Game Pitch (3 to 5 MINUTE video)
All entrants shall provide a Game Pitch (Youtube video) with their submission.
The game pitch should include the following information
- Premise - overview of the game or idea
- Target Market - describe demographics and game genre. (Remember that not everyone will not play your game)
- Unique Feature - unique selling point
- Overview - provide short samples of work (images of artwork, clips of animation, sound clips of audio)
- Development Team - who are the people who built this game and their roles
- Project Summary - Provide a summary of your submission
Game Pitch videos must be submitted via a public Youtube link
- Videos visibility settings must be set to public for viewing
- When uploading the Youtube video (under details , tags) you must include the tag #CSGC2021
These videos will be aired throughout the day of competition on the main hall projector and CSGC will also reserve the right to publicly share these videos across our social channels.
All submissions must be displayed during the exhibition day (April 17) of CSGC. A maximum of one set-up for the submission is required. Entrants must bring their own equipment to display their game designs for judges and expo attendees during the event. See full competition rules and regulations for details about set-up and equipment.
Game Design Gallery Category Submissions
Submission details for each of the categories are listed below.
Game Conceptual Art
- Each entry must include minimum of three images related to various aspects of game design, such as character sheets, environmental drawings or renderings, storyboard art, etc.
- All art submissions must be submitted digitally
- Physical art pieces may be displayed upon day of the competition
- Each submission must include a looped animated short between (30 seconds - 3 minutes) demonstrating an aspect of gameplay. This can be a character animation, environment fly-through, etc.
- Submissions can be either 2D or 3D
- Entrants shall bring a single set-up for presenting their submission (computer monitor or television)
Scoring & Sound Design
- Each entry must include minimum of three original sound/music tracks of 1-2 minutes in length.
- Entrants can submit a maximum of 10 submission
- The majority of the tracks must be musically and sonically designed to loop effectively and may include several layers or intensity levels
- Entrants shall bring a single set-up for presenting their submission (playback device and speakers)
Judges will review all submissions prior to the day of competition. All submissions must be submitted by
March 31, 2021 April 9, 2021. All submissions must be displayed by the entering team on April 17, 2021, for the entirety of the exhibition. Winners will be announced at the Award Ceremony following the exhibition; winners must be present to receive award.
Below are the judging criteria for the Game Design Gallery
- Creativity - Is the design unique? Does it provide a new twist or an out of the box idea
- Composition - Does the work follow good composition? Does it apply the principles of design?
- Consistency - Is the style consistent and appealing? Does the style match the proposed game's premise?
- Craftsmanship - What is the quality of the work? What techniques where used to develop this work and to what level?